Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Tempt My Tummy Tuesday

 tmttSummer09
Eton Mess
Wikipedia says that Eton mess (also called Eaton mess) is a dessert of English origin consisting of a mixture of strawberries, pieces of meringue and cream, which is traditionally served at Eton College's annual cricket game against the students of Winchester College. One anecdotal story is that the dessert was invented when a Labrador accidentally sat on a picnic basket in the back of a car on the way to a picnic.  Eton mess was served in the 1930s in the school's "sock shop" (tuck shop), and was originally made with either strawberries or bananas mixed with ice-cream or cream. Meringue was a later addition.  An Eton mess can be made with many other types of summer fruit, but strawberries are regarded as more traditional.
The word mess may refer to the appearance of the dish, or may be used in the sense of "a quantity of food", particularly "a prepared dish of soft food" or "a mixture of ingredients cooked or eaten together".

EtonMessNAMINAMI
 Photo by Nami-Nami

Ingredients
  • 4 cups strawberries
  • 2 teaspoons caster or vanilla sugar
  • 2 cups whipping cream
  • 1 packet individual meringue nests
  • fresh mint, to garnish
- Whip the cream and sugar until soft peaks form.
- Clean the strawberries and cut into smaller pieces, if necessary.
- Layer strawberries, meringues and whipped cream into a large serving bowl or into individual glasses.
- Garnish with chopped fresh mint and serve.

Find more recipes at Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.

15 comments:

  1. This sounds so yummy! Thanks for sharing and for visiting my blog.
    Blessings to you my friend,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd never heard of this, but it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful presentation-and it looks tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious and I love the story that goes along with it. Got keep an eye on those dogs!

    Christi

    ReplyDelete
  5. MMm that sounds really good, I love strawberries!

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks really good. I wonder how it ould be with blueberries.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks like a mess I would love!! Strawberries are my favorite. Thanks for stopping by. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never had this before but it sounds like something I would enjoy. I liked the story behind it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks TASTY!

    Thanks for stopping by The Fort and commenting!

    Im following you now!

    Love and Prayers,

    Tim
    Blog Frog Community Leader

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing & stopping by. I LOVE strawberries, I could eat them all day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Definately wanna eat the picture! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh yum! Looks simple but delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fun and different recipe. I appreciate the background for the recipe. Always to fun to learn a little something too. Thanks for joining TMTT this week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. YUM! I love a recipe with a story too!

    ReplyDelete